The IDEAL project (“Intellectual Disability and Equal opportunities for Active and Long-term participation in sport”) is a 3-year project co-funded by the Erasmus+ programme of the EU. The project is carried out by 6 research institutions specialised in ID (KU Leuven in Belgium as the lead partner, Canterbury Christ Church University and University of Essex in the UK, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid in Spain, Reykjavik University in Iceland, University of Gälve in Sweden, and Józef Piłsudski University of Physical Education in Warsaw in Poland) in collaboration with INAS and the IPC.
IDEAL project arose because in many EU countries the majority of young people with intellectual disabilities find hard to access sport and they have fewer opportunities for full and equal participation, and limited opportunity to specialise/excel in the activity of their choice. Therefore, the aim of the IDEAL project is to address these inequalities through increasing the quality of sport interventions and structures, empowering young people with ID and improving their physical and mental health.
In order to achieve this objectives, the IDEAL Project is divided into 8 Work Packages split into these 3 years:
- During 2018, the preparation phase, WP2 which aims to provide an inventory of the best practise in EU (macro, meso, micro levels) is being conducted
- During 2019, the implementation phase, WP3 (analysis and proposition of the framework), WP4 (Exchange of best practises and pilot intervention in: team sports, winter sports, aquatic sports and athletics) and WP5 (finding role models and ambassadors to promote and empower ID sport) will be conducted.
- During 2020, the follow up phase, WP6 (evaluation and expert meeting) and WP7 (widely accessible guidelines and recommendations) will be conducted. Moreover, IDEAL project will be highly present during EUCAPA 2020.
- From 2018 to 2020: WP8, which aims to disseminate and exploit the information, will be carried out throughout all the Project.
- Facebook (IDEAL project): https://www.facebook.com/IDEAL-project-2003209893230192/
- Twitter (@IDEALProject3): https://twitter.com/IDEALProject3