The Department of Health and Sport Sciences in the College of Education and Health Sciences is currently seeking a full-time faculty tenure track position in the Physical Education Program with a focus on teaching, research and service in Adapted Physical Education starting fall 2022.
The Department is deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, and diversity and welcomes applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. We are an emerging Hispanic-Serving Institution and committed to serving our Hispanic population. We encourage applications from bilingual speakers.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate Physical Education Teacher Education courses to a diverse student population in initial and advanced teacher certification program primarily within Adapted and Inclusive Physical Education. Secondary teaching responsibilities could be in the areas of health-related fitness, pedagogy, motor behavior, technology and assessment, or research methods.
- Advise and mentor students.
- Provide service to school, university, and community.
- Establish or continue a research line within physical education, physical activity, wellness, or a related field.
- Collaborate with the Chair and faculty of the Department of Health and Sport Sciences for program administration and to develop and implement dynamic curriculum and program enhancements.
- Aid in student recruitment and retention efforts in collaboration with the University.
- Earned terminal degree in Physical Education or a related field. ABD candidates will receive consideration.
- Experience with teacher certification, student teaching, professional organizations, student mentoring, and accreditation are strongly preferred.
- Experience teaching adapted physical education courses.
- A track record of scholarship and service should be commensurate with rank.
- Academic experiences (teaching, scholarship and/or service) with culturally diverse populations that enhance instruction of teacher candidates regarding culturally responsive teaching
- Ability to cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members.
- Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, a current CV, a statement on research, a teaching philosophy, and two letters of reference. Research statement and teaching philosophy should identify ways in which the candidate can fulfill needs within the current program, but also the candidate will help the program grow in new directions.
- To be considered, applications must be apply through the Adelphi website only, https://www.adelphi.edu/hr/open-positions/.
- Review of applications will begin upon receipt of application with the search continuing until the position is filled. Interviews will begin Nov 1st, 2022.
- Direct any inquiries to the chair of the search committee, Professor Paul Rukavina, Ph.D. Phone: 516-877-4197, Email: Rukavina@adelphi.edu.