Loughborough University – Sports Development Centre
In partnership with British Wheelchair Basketball, we are looking for a passionate individual to take on the role of Wheelchair Basketball Head Coach for our newly created wheelchair basketball performance programme. The role will lead the coaching, planning and delivery of the new Loughborough Lightning Women’s Wheelchair Basketball team who will play in the BWB Women’s Premier League and will also support the Athletic Union wheelchair basketball club.
This is an unique, exciting role for an experienced coach with a proven track record in coaching, strong leadership skills and a passion for supporting the holistic development of dual career athletes. In addition to outstanding coaching skills, this role will require excellent planning and organisational skills and the ability to work with multiple stakeholders.
Informal enquiries Nik Diaper, Head of Para Sport via email at email@example.com
Application Closing Date: 23 May 2021
Interviews will take place on 1 June 2021
More details from https://vacancies.lboro.ac.uk/jobdesc/REQ210270.PDF
Responsible for leading the planning, delivery, and coaching of the Wheelchair Basketball Performance Programme
at Loughborough University, with specific responsibility for leading the Loughborough Lightning women’s Wheelchair
Basketball team in partnership with British Wheelchair Basketball (BWB). The role will also support the development
of wider wheelchair basketball initiatives delivered by Loughborough University and BWB
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The role will encompass several key areas of operation for the wheelchair basketball performance squad. The post
holder will be expected to:
• Lead on the development, implementation, and monitoring of a strategic plan for the development of wheelchair basketball at Loughborough University through positive working relationships in conjunction with SDC, BWB, the Athletic Union and the student club committee and regional clubs/partners.
• Create and run an effective coaching programme for the high-performance team(s) so that they can compete successfully within both the Women’s Premier League and BUCS competition (University league) and, where appropriate, national (NGB) competitive structures.
• Develop and implement the annual periodised plan for training and competition, gaining feedback and peerreview from BWB Head of Coaching and Technical Development
• Work proactively to recruit high level student and non-student players to Loughborough University (and where appropriate Loughborough College), including international players.
• Co-ordinate and drive the delivery of performance support services (sports science and sports medicine) to the high-performance team(s).
• Ensure the performance environment is an inclusive, positive, learning focused environment that optimally balances the pursuit for excellence with psychological safety.
• Ensure a process of HPP and opposition game play and tactics development, implementation and critical analysis is in place pre and post every competition to identify key learnings.
• Collaborate with the core GB performance team to ensure GB selected players have optimal training and recovery in preparation for major event campaigns and to optimise the training and development for GB Podium and Academy players based at Loughborough.
• Ensure the training and periodisation of the Women’s team is in line with current research on the female athlete.
• Provide pastoral support and care to high-performance team members in conjunction with other coaching, academic and performance sport staff.
• Provide support to BWB for GB camps/competitions (on an agreed basis).
• Proactively engage with BWB accelerated coach development initiatives, attending all workshops, CPD events and one-to-one sessions as required.
• Work with the AU Wheelchair Basketball Club to ensure that all members of the club receive high quality coaching commensurate to their ability and potential and to create an appropriate competitive structure for the high-performance team(s).
• Establish and support the training and development of additional coaching staff required for the effective delivery of the wheelchair basketball strategy at Loughborough, including recreational levels.
Budgetary Responsibilities and Review
• Work with the Head of Para Sport to prepare, manage and monitor a University budget for the high performance squad.
• Participate in the development of income generating activities that can financially support the high performance squad.
• Engage with regular monitoring and review processes in conjunction with BWB.
• Contribute to the sharing of coaching ideas and skills within the high-performance educational and sport forums available on campus.
• Support the delivery and development of the wider Para sport strategy at Loughborough University.
• Actively participate and contribute to the ‘Coaching Community’ of coaches on campus.
• Actively work to promote Loughborough University sport and Loughborough Students wheelchair basketball generally.
• Willingness to travel and work away from home mainly in the UK.
• To promote adherence to ethical guidelines and regulations with regard to drugs and doping in sport, in line with UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) guidelines and the Loughborough University ‘Clean Sport’ commitment Marketing & PR
• Work with other SDC and AU staff to promote the profile of wheelchair basketball at Loughborough. This may include activities such as:
– Providing regular information for use on, websites, social media and other promotional publications.
– Assisting in the recruitment and/or activity related to sponsors.