Now online: the PRIME Guide for Coaches
This website is just one part of a collection of resources designed specifically to support coaches working with persons with disabilities. As people working in this area criticise the limited support, this website and will change the situation by supporting the ‘upskilling’ of coaches. The material making up this collection focuses on inclusive coaching, key principles of working with different disabilities, communication skills, strategies for adapting activities to encourage maximum participation, and related topics.
It follows the conviction that any coach who commits time and energy to improving knowledge, skills, and values in these areas will become a much more effective coach with any students and athletes irrespective of their abilities and disabilities.
The material is available from the PRIME website in English, German, French and Italian and has been developed with the following partners:
- Association of Wado Karate Do Kai Shin Gi Tai Italy
- Hayashi Karatecenter e.V.
- International Council for Coaching Excellence
- International Taekwondo Federation
- The Association For International Sport for All
- UNESCO Chair “Transforming the Lives of People with Disabilities, their Families and Communities, Through Physical Education, Sport, Recreation and Fitness” at Tralee Institute of Technology, Ireland.
- Ken Black, Project Advisor and Senior Lecturer in Inclusive sport, University of Worcester
- Lydia La Riviere-Zijdel, External Adviser, Lydia Zijdel Foundation.
It contains a unique collection of activity cards that can be used by coaches who will find further support with the PRIME Guide for Coaches.